Frequently Asked Questions

A hub with all the answers you need to make an informed decision about your SDA journey.

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) FAQs

What kind of support can I expect from Good Housing, and how can I contact you for more information?

Good Housing offers support services to its tenants, including assistance with daily living tasks, coordination of medical and therapeutic services, and access to community and social activities. We offer additional support, such as transportation, meal services, and housekeeping, with our partner SIL providers. The level and type of support provided will vary depending on the tenants' needs and the type of SDA property. ‍If you or someone you know is looking for SDA, we would love to help. Our Tenant Empowerment team are knowledgeable and passionate about the needs of individuals and the complexities of finding the perfect home.

What happens if I no longer require SDA, or if I need to move to a different property?

There are occasions where tenants no longer require Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA), or may need to move to a different property. In this case, tenants and their disability support coordinator or support worker can work with Good Housing to arrange the necessary supports and services to transition. This may include working with the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) to update their plan, identify new housing options, and coordinate any necessary transportation, medical, or other supports. Transferring to a different Good Housing property may also be possible, depending on the circumstances.

What types of SDA properties are available, and what are the features of each?

Good Housing offers several types of Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) properties, each designed to meet the needs of people with disabilities. The types of SDA properties include Fully Accessible (FA), High Physical Support (HPS), Robust (RH) and Improved Liveability (IL). Each design category has unique features and amenities, and the level of support and care provided may vary.

What is Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) and how does it differ from other types of disability accommodation?

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is a type of housing designed for people with significant disabilities who require specialist housing solutions to meet their needs. SDA differs from other types of disability accommodation in providing purpose-built homes designed to meet the individual's specific requirements. SDA properties are designed to be accessible, with features such as wider doorways, wheelchair-friendly bathrooms, and hoists. They also offer 24/7 support services and are staffed by trained professionals equipped to meet SDA residents' unique needs. SDA is funded by the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and is available to eligible participants with SDA funding in their NDIS plan.

How do I know if I am eligible for SDA, and what is the assessment process?

To determine eligibility for Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA), you need to have an approved National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) plan with SDA funding included. The eligibility assessment process involves a comprehensive evaluation of your disability, mobility needs, level of support required, and capacity for independent living. This assessment is conducted by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) and considers various factors to determine your eligibility for SDA. If you are eligible for SDA, the NDIA will work with you to identify suitable options that align with your needs and goals and assist you in applying.

How do I apply for SDA, and what documents do I need to provide?

To apply for Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA), you need to have an approved National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) plan with funding for SDA included. You can then work with a disability support coordinator to identify suitable options that align with your needs and goals. When applying to Good Housing, you will need to complete an application form and provide any required documentation (e.g. proof of income, disability status etc.) Once we have this, we will assess your eligibility against available properties and work with you to find a suitable home. If you are approved for SDA, you will be required to sign a tenancy agreement and pay rent under the terms of the agreement.

Can I choose Good Housing as my SDA provider?

Yes, all participants can choose their preferred SDA provider.

What factors should I consider when selecting an SDA provider?

When selecting an SDA provider, several factors exist, such as the provider's experience and reputation in the disability support sector, the range of properties and services they offer, and their location and accessibility. At Good Housing, we prioritise ensuring our values and approach align with our tenants' goals and needs.

SIL Provider FAQs

Can I continue with my current Community Access or Day Program provider?

Yes, you can continue with your current Community Access or Day Program provider following your move into Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA). However, it is advisable to inform your provider about your transition to ensure they can accommodate your needs in your new living situation, and ensure you continue to reach your social and community participation goals.

What support services are available to residents in SDA?

In conjunction with our nominated SIL providers, Good Housing provides a range of support services to help tenants live as independently as possible. The level and type of support services available will depend on the tenants' needs and goals, including assistance with daily living tasks such as personal care, meal preparation, and medication management. Additionally, our nominated SIL providers are available on-site 24/7 to support all tenants.

Tenant FAQs

How much does SDA cost to live in, and what funding options are available?

The cost of living in Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) varies depending on the type of property and level of support required. SDA tenants are responsible for paying rent, utilities, and any additional costs associated with their support needs. However, the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provides funding for eligible participants to cover the cost of SDA. The available funding level will depend on the individual's assessed support needs and goals and may cover some or all of the cost of living in SDA. SDA providers may also offer additional services and amenities at an additional cost. It is important to carefully review the cost and funding options when choosing an SDA provider and to work with a disability support coordinator or support worker to ensure you access all available funding options.

Can tenants have visitors in Good Housing properties?

Yes, visitors are generally allowed in Good Housing properties. Visitors may be required to follow certain rules, such as signing in and out of the property, adhering to noise restrictions, and respecting the privacy and needs of other residents.

Want to collaborate with us for good?

Are you a SIL Provider looking to provide a better living experience for the people you support? We’d love to talk.
Image of a resident at his new home