As a provider of specialist disability accommodation (SDA) and informed through lived experience, we know that finding the right accommodation can be daunting.
There are many considerations - from assessing your needs to determining the best location and level of support required. And having the right information can turn an otherwise complex task into a positive and exciting experience!
Here are some tips to help you find the right home:
* Determine your needs: The first step in finding the right accommodation is determining your needs, including medical, mobility, and personal preference needs. It's helpful to list what you need in a living space, so you can ensure prospective accommodation meets your requirements.
* Location: It is important to find accommodation that is in a location that is convenient for you. When assessing accommodation, consider whether the location is close to family, friends, support networks, public transport, and medical facilities.
* Accessibility: It's important to ensure that the accommodation meets your accessibility requirements. This means that the living spaces should be designed to accommodate your mobility needs, for example, with features such as ramps, wide doorways, and grab bars in the bathroom.
* Staffing and support: It's important to consider the staffing and support available at the accommodation that provides the level of support you need. This includes medical and personal support for daily activities like meal preparation and housekeeping.
* Reviews and references: Finally, check reviews and references from other residents and families of your preferred accommodation. This can give you a sense of the quality of the accommodation and the level of care provided.
We hope these tips help you find the right disability accommodation.
Remember, taking your time and finding accommodation that meets your needs and preferences is important.
At Good Housing, we provide SDA that is not only accessible but also modern, comfortable, and personalised. We believe everyone has the right to have a place that feels like home. And it is our mission to deliver 300 smart and healthy SDA homes within the next five years - this is how we're empowering extraordinary lives.
If you or someone you know is looking for SDA, we would love to help. Our Tenant Empowerment team are knowledgeable and passionate about the needs of individuals and the complexities of finding the perfect home. Most importantly, we are passionate about making your journey a positive one.